GET A Quote

We'll never share your email with anyone else.

Small Engine Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very dangerous and sometimes fatal issue that occurs if one does not take the proper precautions when working with small gasoline powered engines. Whether working in a confined space or an open and airy building the consequences can turn out the same. There are several small gasoline powered engine tools that are used on a daily basis, be careful when using them! Below are a few tips to help you when working with carbon monoxide emitting tools and a video on how to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home!

1. DO NOT allow the use of or operate gasoline-powered engines or tools inside buildings or in partially enclosed areas unless gasoline engines can be located outside away from air intakes. Use of gasoline-powered tools indoors where CO from the engine can accumulate can be fatal.

2. Learn to recognize the symptoms and signs of CO overexposure: headache, nausea, weakness, dizziness, visual disturbances, changes in personality, and loss of consciousness. Any of these symptoms and signs can occur within minutes of usage.

3. Always place the pump and power unit of high-pressure washers outdoors and away from air intakes so that engine exhaust is not drawn indoors where the work is being done. Run only the high-pressure wash line inside.

4. If compressed air is used, place the gasoline-powered compressor outdoors and away from air intakes so that engine exhaust is not drawn indoors where the work is being done.

5. Use personal CO monitors where potential sources of CO exist. These monitors should be equipped with audible alarms to warn workers when CO concentrations are too high or when exceeding the NIOSH Ceiling limit for CO of 200 parts per million.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnflz1f_R-0]More Insurance Tips: Tire Safety

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *